Friday, August 13, 2010

Wholesale shopping and stopping to feed the birds in the city-by-the-sea......



Paternal grandma was visiting from Florida this week. Yesterday was her last full day here. So after my spoiled trip to Costco- spoiled because I don't care for "shopping" with Mr. Crabass at all - he takes the long ass way through the aisles to get only what he needs but won't stop to look at anything the rest of us find interesting - we took Grandma over to the boardwalk in Asbury Park. Not being from New Jersey, I don't think she's ever been to Asbury before this but was able to appreciate the fallen beach resort for it's fascinating, bittersweet history and current struggle for it's rebirth.



Had I been told previously that our trip there was mainly to the boardwalk candy store for salt water taffy I would have warned her the price per pound is 8 times the amount one can get the same box of taffy 6 blocks in from shore at the Foodtown. (which I knew for certain she'd be interested in knowing!) But that's one of the oddball traits of that side of the family. Plans are whispered and a sudden trip takes place with a vague announcement of destination, usually leaving it's victims unprepared- in this particular case I didn't know to bring my camera as I thought we were just going to Costco. So hence the 2 megapixel cell phone quality photos.

Mural

We walked past the murals and went into a few shops but really only had about 30 minutes before heading home to meet the Twinkies' school bus. But I must say, one of my favorite things is being at the beach on a cloudy, storm-dangling kind of day.



Then my parents gave Grandma a farewell dinner last night, of scallop and shrimp scampi on top of linguini with my famous (I made it twice) Frozen Margarita Pie. Lige tore apart the magazines, Milo perpetually signed his current movie obsession, Paulie...which we don't own, it happens to come on HBO whenever we're at the 'rents house. But he settled on Sleeping Beauty in the end.

The inspiration for my recipe came off the lid of the Oikos greek yogurt, but this is what I've done:

Margarita Pie

1 graham cracker pie crust
8 oz light cream cheese
1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
4 tbs sugar
a little less than 1/4 cup liquid margarita mixer
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (the 2nd time I used Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice which was extra tart, which I like)

I mixed the last 5 ingredients in my Vitamix on Var 6. Poured into pie crust and froze for a few hours. Topped with whipped cream shortly before serving.

Everyone claims they love it, I'm still not sure if they're just being supportive.

Love Ms. Crabass

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love your photos.

    can you just send me some pie? I really don't feel like making it. :)

    ReplyDelete